announces the launch of AT&T U-verse TV and AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet in the Northeast Wisconsin area. AT&T is now taking orders for the service and will begin installing services for new customers on June 30. Customers can currently order AT&T U-verse services in parts of more than a dozen local communities, including Appleton, Fond du Lac, Green Bay and Oshkosh. AT&T will make U-verse services available to more homes throughout the area on an ongoing basis. The service is also available in parts of the Milwaukee and Racine metro areas.
Where available, local AT&T U-verse customers can enjoy numerous TV benefits, including:
- An attractive selection of TV packages. You can choose from a variety of subscription options that feature up to 320 channels, including digital music, local, movie and sports programming, as well as premium Spanish-language and international packages. All packages include HD-capable equipment, and most packages include an HD-capable digital video recorder (DVR). (More receivers can be added for $5 each a month.)
- More HD channels than the major local cable providers, with an extensive lineup of more than 40 HD channels. U-verse TV supports both 720p and 1080i formats. Access to HD service is $10 a month with any U-verse TV package.
- The ability to set your DVR from any location. With AT&T Yahoo! Web and Mobile Remote Access to DVR, you can schedule recordings from any Web-connected PC or compatible AT&T mobile phone (wireless service charges apply) by using your AT&T High Speed Internet account.
- The ability to record up to four programs at once using a DVR (up to four standard definition programs or two HD and two standard definition programs) — another feature exclusive to AT&T U-verse TV.
- AT&T Online Photos from Flickr, which lets you simply and conveniently browse the photos you've uploaded to flickr.com and watch slide shows on your U-verse TV screen from the comfort of your couch.
- AT&T U-bar, which brings customizable weather, stock, sports and traffic information to the U-verse TV screen, without interrupting the current program. AT&T High Speed Internet subscribers can personalize the U-bar from the AT&T portal to display weather at specific locations, your personal stock portfolio and scores for your favorite sports teams.
- YELLOWPAGES.COM TV, for fast and easy searches to find local businesses and other information via your TV screen.
- AT&T Yahoo! Games, so you can now play your favorite online games — including Sudoku, Solitaire, JT's Blocks, Mah-jongg Tiles and Chess — on the TV screen.
- Built-in Picture-in-Picture, which lets you channel-surf on any television without leaving the program you're watching. A growing Video On Demand (VOD) library with one-touch access to movies and events.
- Advanced search to find upcoming linear or VOD programs by using the title or an actor's name. Easy-to-use parental controls to block live programs, recorded programs or videos by specific channel or ratings.
- Specially designed U-verse receivers. All U-verse receivers are HD-capable and include universal remote controls with backlit buttons and one-touch access to VOD, recorded TV and other popular U-verse features.
AT&T U-verse offers multiple combinations of TV and Internet packages to customize your experience. U-verse TV offers five programming packages — U100, U200, the popular U300 and U400 packages, plus U-family, a market-leading family-friendly programming option. Current AT&T U-verse TV pricing starts at $44 a month, depending on the selected programming package (taxes, fees and other monthly charges apply).
Professional installation of all U-verse services is included for new U-verse TV customers, and you also get a 30-day money-back guarantee. Customers who order a qualifying programming package by phone through Sept. 20, 2008, are eligible to choose a free month of the U200, U300 or U400 package or a $50 cash-back redemption by gift check. Customers who order a qualifying TV package online will receive a free month of the TV package. Additional cash-back offers are available to qualifying customers who bundle Internet service.
AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet offers more bandwidth and faster available speeds to meet the needs of every consumer or small business broadband user, including four package options:
- Max 10: Downstream speeds up to 10.0 Mbps, upstream speeds up to 1.5 Mbps
- Elite: Downstream speeds up to 6.0 Mbps, upstream speeds up to 1.0 Mbps
- Pro: Downstream speeds up to 3.0 Mbps, upstream speeds up to 1.0 Mbps
- Express: Downstream speeds up to 1.5 Mbps, upstream speeds up to 1.0 Mbps
AT&T is expanding U-verse services in Wisconsin thanks in part to legislation co-written by Rep. Phil Montgomery, R-Ashwaubenon; and Sen. Jeff Plale, D-Milwaukee; and sponsored by numerous legislators, including Sen. Dave Hansen, D-Green Bay. The Video Competition Act, signed by Gov. Jim Doyle, provides an environment that encourages new video providers, such as AT&T, to invest in Wisconsin to compete against incumbent cable providers.
"The Video Competition Act is helping bring a real alternative to cable TV to families across Wisconsin," Montgomery said. "In addition to this new competition in the Green Bay and Fox Cities area, cable competitors are receiving new state franchises in other parts of the state and bringing needed choice to residents in those areas."
Hansen said: "This is what the Video Franchise Act was all about — opening up competition to give consumers greater choices in the video market and creating new jobs like those resulting from this new system."