AT&T announced the launch of AT&T U-verse IPTV services, which utilize AT&T's new fiber network to offer cutting-edge television and high-speed Internet services. AT&T U-verse services are initially available in limited areas across the Dallas-Fort Worth metropolitan area, though the company intends to increase availability throughout the area on an ongoing basis.
AT&T U-verse services are available in parts of 14 markets across five states, with plans to continue expansion into new markets throughout 2007.
AT&T U-verse offers customers a combination of next-generation digital television — including more than 25 High Definition (HD) channels — and high speed Internet access.
Beginning today, AT&T U-verse TV will offer Dallas-Fort Worth area residents:
- A compelling variety of TV packages with more than 300 channels, including digital music, local, and premium movie and sports programming.
- More HD programming than the local cable provider. HD technology produces images more than twice as detailed as standard analog TV delivering rich, realistic video and multi-channel, movie theater quality sound. AT&T U-verse offers customers access to a growing lineup of more than 25 HD channels, along with HD digital video recording (DVR) capability. New HD customers can receive two months of free HD service ($10 per month thereafter).
- Web remote access to digital video recorder (DVR), which allows high speed Internet customers to schedule recordings using their AT&T Yahoo!® account. This feature is unique to AT&T among local providers.
- The ability to record up to four programs at once using a DVR receiver, another exclusive feature unmatched in the marketplace.
- Built-in picture-in-picture functionality that allows subscribers to "channel surf" on any television without leaving the program they're watching.
- Specially designed set top boxes, manufactured by Motorola, all of which are HD-capable and include universal remote controls that provide backlit buttons and one-touch access to video-on-demand, DVR, and other services.
- A premium Spanish-language package featuring novelas, movies, news, sports, children's programming, talk shows and more. New customers can receive the package at no charge for the first two months ($10 per month thereafter).
- A growing video-on-demand library with one-touch access to movies and events.
- Fast channel-changing, reducing the delay experienced with other digital broadcast services.
- The ability to search for programs using title or actor's name.
- Three TV receivers — one with a DVR, which allows customers to pause, rewind, replay and record live TV — at no extra charge with most programming packages. (Customers may add more receivers for $5 each per month.)
AT&T plans to continue adding more channels and interactive applications in the future.