A survey report published by iLocus reveals that 44% of IPTV service providers
regard the IPTV technology immature. The technology, according to them, is not robust enough to support a scalable IPTV deployment. The report is based on interactions with 100 IPTV service providers worldwide.
The other challenges facing the IPTV service providers include Absence of Standards, Lack of User Friendly UI, and difficulty they are experiencing in monetizing VOD.
In another survey report published by iLocus recently it appears that 54% of the IPTV service providers use COTS hardware as the underlying platform for VOD solutions. Among the remaining 46% that use proprietary hardware, a huge majority of 30% will shift over to COTS hardware in the near future.