unveiled its SlingLoaded HD DuoDVR ViP 922. The ViP 922 is a high definition digital video recorder that incorporates placeshifting technology. The ViP 922 was built by EchoStar and developed for DISH Network as an entertainment centerpiece that – combined with the only 1080p Video on Demand and 100 percent, all-HD suite of programming packages available today – will revolutionize the way consumers watch and enjoy their favorite programming. DISH Network will offer the ViP 922 to customers in Spring 2009.
The ViP 922 allows TV enthusiasts to watch and control their favorite TV shows and sporting events from anywhere in the world via a broadband Internet connection on their laptop or mobile phone. With five video sources, including satellite, broadband and optional over-the-air tuners, viewers will never run out of shows to watch. The ViP 922 also features a multi-tuner DVR with up to 1,000 hours of recording time and supports connecting external hard drives for even more storage capacity.
An innovative touchpad remote control accompanies the ViP 922, which eliminates half the buttons of a standard remote control and provides cursor-like navigation on a TV screen. With a slide of the thumb, viewers experience scroll-over activation of the new user interface: on-screen widget-like tiles and pop-up menus. All features are selectable by an underside index finger trigger selection on the radio frequency-controlled remote, which offers two-way learning of codes from other AV equipment remote controls.
The ViP 922 can also be controlled using SlingGuide, a new way for consumers to control their TV viewing experience over the Internet. SlingGuide features a powerful search engine for the TV along with the ability to schedule the ViP 922 DVR timers remotely.
Other ViP 922 features include:
- News feeds located on the home screen, giving viewers instant access to national news, weather, sports, and stock quotes.
- Ability to organize channels by channel name or number.
- 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480i and 480p support.
- nternet-delivered DISH On Demand including 1080p content.
- Ability to move one day in the guide while browsing full screen EPG or partial EPG.
- Connections to home networks via Ethernet, HomePlug Turbo (the next generation of HomePlug that allows for faster in-home transfer of content using home power lines), or WiFi (with optional WiFi adapter).
- Powerful search capability across all available video sources, including IP, VOD, satellite or DVR.
- Intuitive timer creation and DVR management, allowing users to categorize programming by groups (video source, title, genres) or by content description (date, length, ratings and more).
- Ability to load photos, MP3s and selected Internet content.
- Future upgrades such as photo sharing, movie ticket purchases, family calendars, instant messaging, streaming audio, and the ability to transfer content within a home network.
EchoStar's new user interface and remote control for the ViP 922 were selected as CES Innovations 2009 Design and Engineering Award honorees. Demonstrations of the ViP 922 will be available at DISH Network's Booth No. 14438, located in the Central Hall at the Las Vegas Convention Center, Jan. 8-11.