By Alexander Cameron, Managing Director, Digital TX Ltd.
There's a secret many people in the IPTV/VoD industry don't want you to know. Setting up an IPTV network is actually incredibly easy. In fact, almost anyone can do it. But if you knew that, you'd build your own and no-one would make any money by selling you proprietary products with huge mark-ups.
IPTV networks are basically intranets, only the web browser isn't on a PC, it is on a set-top box. If you've set up an intranet or public website, you can set up your own IPTV network and do what you want with it. You don't need massive and expensive servers, specialised set-top boxes or overly large development teams working with complex software. With the right hardware and software, it should take you less than a few hours.
But why would you want to build your own?
Maybe you could, and/or want to:
- Create an internal TV system for training, advertising or information display;
- Create an IPTV showcase for your clients so they can visualise opportunities;
- Evaluate current IPTV technology without massive expense;
- Convert your existing client websites and applications to IPTV versions;
- Cross-train your web developers so they have IPTV skills;
- Simulate a real IPTV network to test applications and ideas;
- Put your products and services on an IPTV demo platform;
- Build a great new idea or application that would work well on IPTV;
- Integrate your current web-based systems into an IPTV environment (e.g. VoIP)
Click through to read the entire article or visit http://www.iptvworkshop.co.uk/
to sign up for the workshop that covers all you need to know about IPTV in a single day. Mention code TVON2006 for a 10% discount.