announces new leaders in the Global IPTV Market Leaders Report -- October 2009, which tracks the top 120 IPTV vendors in 24 regional sectors based on the installed base of 6 video systems products in over 800 IPTV Operations. Over 80 new Operators have begun IPTV since March 2009, most of those in North America, Europe and the Rest of World regions, totaling over 800 IPTV Operators worldwide.
In the IPTV Access sector, Alcatel-Lucent (A-L) breaks the record by acquiring 51% share of the worldwide (Access) market, while retaining its #1 market ranking worldwide. Also furthering its strength as a System Integrator (SI) is A-L's dominant #2 position in the Middleware sector.
In the Content Security sector, Verimatrix retains its #1 global market ranking, enjoying a 26% share of the global market (up 2% since March 2009), and with strong positions in all 4 of the regional markets.
In Set-top Boxes, Motorola still dominates the global market, with 28% share globally--a 5% increase since March 2009--followed by smaller and highly aggressive companies like Amino, ADB and Netgem. Over 25 companies continue to compete in this high-stakes market, often representing over 60% of CapEx for IPTV operations.
In Video Headend Encoders, Motorola also maintains its #1 global ranking with 38% share of market; yet Ericsson/TANDBERG, with a strong second showing of 34% (up 3% from March 2009) is closing the gap on Motorola in this hotly contested sector where the top 5 vendors hold about 94% of the global share, leaving only 6% to the 6 other competitors.
In both the Middleware and Video-on-Demand sectors, a crowded field of companies continue to struggle to hold their own against the Microsoft juggernaut.